Monday, January 07, 2013

Happy New Year!

Dear friends and family,
Happy New Year! I thought I would update my blog before semester #2 at NJCU takes over. My new job is a challenge but it is an exhilarating and gratifying one. I think I've done a good job establishing myself in a new and unfamiliar part of the country. I enjoy the stability of a steady paycheck, too, although I'm a relative pauper in the NYC metro. At least I'm used to it! 

I haven't been the only one keeping busy over the last six months. Dad, for example, has been building an impressive boulder retaining wall up in Rhinelander. The wall is behind Bob's shed complex on the west side of the house. Dad has had a lot of fun with that Kubota tractor.

Jim has kept busy by visiting me! In August, he had the unenviable task of helping me move into my three-bedroom walk-up apartment. We discovered that the stairways were too narrow for my brand new boxspring, so I ended up having to buy a saw and bolt cutters to cut it in half.  (First below, Statue of Liberty -- reverse view from Jersey side; second below, the new Freedom Tower; third below, me and my friend Mario at Liberty State Park)

 

Hurricane Sandy presented an unexpected challenge. I left town the weekend before the Big One hit, so I ended up with a paradoxically anxious and relaxing week off. It was a bit stressful re-booking my flight, but I was desperately in need of a break from the pressure of the first semester in a "real" job. I returned to find a slightly wet basement and a spoiled fridge but nothing more severe. However, it was indeed a nightmare taking four busses from LaGuardia back to Jersey . (First below, the Big Apple in the smoggy summer haze; second below, the U.S. Seal at George Washington's pew; third below, the graveyard around St. Paul's Church; fourth below, an explanation of Washington's Pew; fifth below, Jim and I in front of Yankee Stadium)



I did manage to make it back to Madison for two visits. Here's some picks from UW Homecoming 2013. (First below, Patty, Char, Jim, and I with Jim's sister Amber and her family and her Weiland in-laws; second below, Jim, nephew Jake, nephew Mitch, and sister Amber)


I also had the pleasure of cooking Thanksgiving for six out in New Jersey. The bird ended up a little pink, but no one got sick! The rest of the meal turned out fine. My guests included History Department profs Jason and Tim, Jason's wife Liz -- who is also the dean's secretary in the College of Ed, Tim's partner Keith, and Jim. (First below, left to right, Jason, Keith, Tim, Liz, and me -- Jim was taking the pic; second below, Tim and Keith's adorable puppy Dexter; third below, Jason and Liz)

During Jim's six-day Thanksgiving visit, we managed to head into Manhattan a few times to watch the Badger game and to explore. We also watched the Packers' collective humiliation against the Giants. (First below, Macy's main store in foreground; second below, Jim poses in front of a decadent Macy's Christmas display; third below, Jim on the wooden escalator in Macy's; fourth below, me in Bucky gear at Central Park; fifth below, the glorious late autumn sun at the Park)


Jim and Bucky plan to move out in the fall, although there are naturally a lot of variables. We still have to sell the condo, and Jim is exploring possibilities for a transfer with his company. I'm delighted at the prospect of another summer in Madison to research my book after I have a month-long trip to Turkey late spring! (First below, globe scuplture at Columbus Circle; second below, the Hudson-Bergen light rail; third below, John and Jim at Thanksgiving)
My first semester at NJCU blessedly came to a close in mid December. I flew into Madison the Saturday before Christmas, after accepting a bump to a later flight. (First below, Bucky and his "Bucky," second below, Jim and I pose in scarves knit by Heddie Blank -- I think this picture dates from the Hurricane Sandy week; third below, Romeo cozies up to Dad)
Jim and I could not resist the allure of another Rose Bowl trip. The Badgers had tumbled into the Big Ten Championship Game after booster violations at Ohio State and the terrible events at Penn State, but they beat Nebraska convincingly, and that was enough to coax us to a trip out West. They played respectably in defeat to Stanford. (First below, citrus in season in SoCal; second below, a luxuriant and patriotic Rose Bowl Parade float; third below, the beach near Pacific Palisades)
I also had the opportunity to visit with a college friend, Cathy Pack, and her housemate Esmi. They live west of Downtown on a hill with a great view. Jim and I also tailgated with Mary, Perron, Tory, and Ed. We all appreciated the game day sun and the overall break from routine. (First below, downtown LA; second below, Mary, Perron, and Tory in the stands; third below, left to right, Jim, me, Mary, Perron, Tory, and Ed; fourth below, Cathy and me near her home in LA; fifth below, a weird rock formation in Red Rock Canyon near Vegas -- we visited the park before the flight back east)
With that, I'll have to end this rather longish entry. I hope its not another six months before I update, but I'll be extremely busy until the typescript of my book is into the publisher by 10 August 2013. Keep in touch!

jkb

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture packed blog entry John! Thanks for the memories:) Jim

Wednesday, January 09, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home