Sunday, January 15, 2012

Winter Roses.

Dear Friends and Family,

Now that Wisconsin has reached the icebox phase of its winter, I thought I would share some warmer memories from the weeks past. I am finishing up a month-long break from teaching at Bradley University. It's been a busy time away. Apart from the holidays, I went to the Rose Bowl with Jim, and I did a bunch of tenure-track job interviews at the American Historical Association Annual Meeting in Chicago. (First below, left to right, Bradley prof. friends Derrick, Michael, and Rob; second below, posing with Mom)


Christmas was short but good. We spent the main event in Cross Plains with the Laurie and the Valaskeys. Van and Judy were great hosts. The food was wonderful and naughty. The day after Christmas Bob and I headed up north to rendezvous with Bragg Family South and Mom and Dad (again.)(First below, Christmas present time; second below, Dad and Bill; third below, my youngest nephew Stephen; fourth below, zebra-striped Snuggie time!)



A week later, Jim and I headed out west to catch the Rose Bowl, the granddaddy of them all! This was my first Rose Bowl, but it was Jim's fifth! (First below, the Badger band at a pep rally in downtown L.A.; second below, stopping to smell the roses; third below,

The weather in L.A. was unbelievable. During our brief stay, Southern California was the warmest spot in the nation, with inland highs in the low 80s. (First below, Ed and Mary enjoy running their feet through the grass; second below, my friend Cathy and I try to make a "W" pose; third below, left to right, myself, Perron, Mary, Jim, Ed, and Dave)


A real treat for me was getting to spend time with my good friend and travel companion from my year abroad in Greece, Cathy Pack. Cathy is an architect in L.A., and she lives outside of downtown L.A. with her longtime housemate Esmi. Cathy has a very warm personality and a keen intellect, and she has always been a great conversationalist. Although we've kept in touch, this was the first time in fifteen years that we were able to meet up. She's from Oregon, but she was pulling for the Badgers for our sake. (First below, Esmi, Cathy, myself, and Jim; second below, with Mary and Perron)

The game itself was very exciting and competitive. The Badgers came up a bit short in the end, but they comported themselves well. Our band kicked butt, too!

We flew in and out of Vegas to save money, so we had one night to spend in Vegas on the return. We had a fun night. We stayed at the Stratosphere, which is a hotel and casino attached to a very high observation tower. I did not partake of the carnival rides on the very top this time. This was not out of fear of heights, but rather my growing dislike of motion rides. I'm developing a queezy stomach for such things as I age.
Well, that's it! Best of wishes in the New Year!

jkb

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how is it that i have not heard about this lovely zebra striped snuggie?! oh my goodness! what a gift!

lulu

Sunday, February 05, 2012  
Blogger Lisa said...

I have to learn to check these blogs more often! Lot of fun stuff. But mom in the zebra snuggie-! Hmm. Who gave her that? (just kidding)

Monday, February 27, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home