Monday, July 23, 2012

New Digs

Dear friends and family,

I thought I should provide a brief update what I've been doing this boiling summer.  My biggest concern has been making the transition to NJCU -- more on that later. However, I have had time to do some fun stuff.

June fun with Bradley colleagues at a Peoria Chiefs' game (left to right, Rob, Lynn, Henry, Jim, me, Aurea, and Greg)

The event of the season, of course, was Jay and Susan's wedding in Eau Claire.


Others have narrated the wedding story well, so I'll just share my better photos with minimal commentary.  Leyla was a pixie-like flower girl:


An exuberant and high-heeled Emma shined in the bridal party.  Here she's posing with Bragg Family South (and a Hurlburt cousin?)


Here Mark and Lulu fit nicely into a colorful panorama view at the Fanny Hill reception area.


It's always nice to get a visit from Bragg Family South. Stephen looks so like me at that age.


Here's a happy gathering of three generations of "Bragg" ladies.


 Michael and David were dutiful ushers (and good dancers, too!)


Jonathan and Lindsay rock.


All Bragg siblings were able to attend, except Bill (and Scott)  :(


The reception was raucous and fun, fun, fun!


 Congratulations Jay and Susan!

I should also relate some events from my recent reconnaissance mission to Jersey City.  The main aim of the trip was to secure an apartment for the upcoming year at NJCU.  A secondary aim was to meet with the Dean of Education and colleagues in History and Education to discuss courses and syllabi.

I accomplished both goals. I owe a special depth of gratitude to my hosts, Jason and Liz, the future colleagues at NJCU who were my hosts.  It was nice to be able to come and go as I pleased from their place as I did my week's errands.  They provided me with very welcome and comfortable accomodation.  They also had the cutest little kitten, Lincoln (below).


I looked at several units, both downtown and near campus, with two different realtors. Location is everything in New York, and the closer to downtown Jersey City I looked, the smaller and more expensive the units got.  In the end, I decided to go with a larger unit closer to campus. Plenty of room for visitors! The second and third story apartment is three blocks away from NJCU and one block away from the light rail line that goes into downtown Jersey City and the PATH Train to NYC.


The Westside Station of the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Line (near my new apartment)

Hepburn Hall, the oldest building on the NJCU campus
Here's a view of the second floor of my apartment
My apartment is the brown-brick, square-fronted building in the middle

I also got a chance to check out my new office. It's about the same size as my windowless office at Bradley.

A view from my office window overlooking Newark Bay in the distance
I did get to spend one longish morning in sweltering New York.  I had lunch in Koreatown near 33rd Street and then dodged the hawkers and tourists in claustrophobic Times Square.  The High Line Park, a surreal green way built over a stabilized elevated rail line in the Meatpacking District, was a charming change of pace before Christopher Street and my train back to JC.

The view of Lower Manhattan from the Downtown JC waterfront; the ascendant Freedom Tower is the tallest building
I should also mention that Jim and I had the pleasure of a brief visit from our friends Rob, Lynn, and little Henry from Peoria this last weekend.
Henry drives a tractor

The littlest lion

Well, that's all for now. Stay cool in this heat.


Best wishes,

JKB

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Wah... I just left you a long comment and it got lost in cyberspace while I was trying to log into my google account. Main point I was trying to make was "great pics from the wedding" and "that one of Jonathan and Lindsay was great." Then bla bla bla about my garden.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home