New Johnsey
Dear Friends and Family,
The first two paragraphs might be repetitious for some of you. Sorry. Over the last several weeks, I have reached two important milestones in my brief professorial career. First, I have accepted a contract to produce a book entitled Ottoman Notables and Participatory Politics: Tanzimat Reform in Tokat, 1839-1876 for the SOAS/Routledge Studies on the Middle East series. The manuscript, based on my dissertation, has already been through peer review, and the typescript is due to the publisher in August 2013.
Second, I have accepted a tenure-track job at New Jersey City University. The job is a joint appointment between the College of Education and the Liberal Arts College. NJCU is located in the New York City metro a short subway ride away from Manhattan. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement over the years.
| From left to right, Jim, Lance, Tristan, Mary, and Richie |
| From left to right, Rob, Lynn, me, Jim, Amy, and Lori |
| From left to right, Rob, Amy, Lori, Jim, Lynn, and me |
The trip to St. Louis was eventful. After the game, several rounds of severe storms rolled through town. For the first round, we nestled for cover under an interstate overpass near the stadium. A tent at the other side of the parking lot collapsed due to a heavy gust, and two people were killed. Later that evening we had to take shelter again, this time in the basement of a restaurant. Life and weather are precarious.
There have been other fun events this spring and early summer. Jim and I have been to several Brewer games, a graduation party, and other such fun stuff. We've also already had a chance to go up north to see Mom and Dad.
| Jim and John in June |
| Jim and his little sis Amber |
More adventures await. Next weekend Jim and I will visit Peoria to attend a minor-league Peoria Chiefs game with friends from Bradly, and two weekends from now Susan Hurlburt is getting married. I have a long visit planned up to my parents at the end of the month. I will make an apartment scouting trip to New Jersey in mid July, but the permanent move to New Jersey won't happen until mid August. Jim will join me out east in spring or summer 2013. I will try to come back to the dairy state at least two or three times a year.
| Bucky sleeping? |
Jim and I are anxious about the moves to come, but we are looking forward to new adventures and opportunities in the big city. Bucky doesn't care. He's just hungry right now. He's been getting occasional servings of soft food since last week and now will not eat his regular food.
Until next time,
JKB


1 Comments:
Wow, that's scary about the tent collapse in St. Louis! Sorry to hear people were killed. As for Bucky, that digestively delicate feline on his royal cushion-- hope he's back to eating the common fare (dry food).
Post a Comment
<< Home