Thursday, July 15, 2010

Kewaunee.

Dear Friends and Family,

Greetings from Madison. What a lovely summer it has been. Jim and I have been having fun. Bucky is still a brat cat, but he's having fun, too.I went up to Kewaunee for a family camping trip a couple of weekends ago. Bob has a wooden boat up on blocks at the Kewaunee Marina, and he thought it would be a good jumping off point for a weekend tour of the area. Don, Hope, Kenny, Beth, Stephen, up for their summer visit, joined Dad, Bill, Bob, and me. We all camped at the tightly packed marina camp grounds that were full due to the sport fishing season. Despite the crowdedness, the neighbors were friendly and respectful.
Saturday night Bob, Bill, and I joined Bragg Family South to go to an outdoor movie theater north of Sturgeon Bay. The movie was Toy Story III -- fun. I had never gone to a drive-in movie before.
On Sunday, we returned to door county to tour about the peninsula. We stopped at a cherry orchard to pick some tart fruit. Hope was going to make a pie in Rhinelander.
We also enjoyed ourselves at an impromptu cherry pit spitting contest.

Next came the kite shop. Dad wanted to find a tractor kite for some reason.
After that, we went to Peninsula State Park so Don could troll the rocky shore for fossils. The Door Peninsula is part of a major North American geological feature, the Niagara Escarpment. The escarpment is a layer of limestone that formed along an ancient seabed that rings the northern edges of Erie, Huron, and Michigan. I remarked to Dad that the millions of shells that had washed up as debris on the shore resembled the fossilized shells embedded in the chalky rocks. Some things just stay the same.
I think it was an enjoyable weekend for all.Next post: my trip out west with Dad.
Until then,
jkb in madison

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was fun. i'll have to post some pictures from the drive in movie too to my blog. bill

Thursday, August 26, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home