My Thirty-Something Birthday.
Dear Friends and Family,
What an eventful couple of weeks it has been. First, I turned 35. Yeah, I know. That's unbelievable based on my youthful appearance, isn't it? (Below, Bucky studies Jim in the "study")
To mark the joyous occasion, Jim and friend Tom Bilski arranged a surprise party for me at a Mexican restaurant in Fitchburg. A good number of friends and family showed up for the occasion. I was taken completely by surprise. Fun -- my first surprise party! (First below, a pose by the treasure trove; second below, the birthday cupcake hodag; third below, Bob and Lulu)
Apart from a few happy hour margaritas, I had no idea of what was waiting for me at Casa del Sol. I had thought that Jim and I were going to the restaurant to strategize with friends Mary and Perron about what to do about the swine flu in Mexico. At that time, the media was in a froth about closing borders and cancelling flights in preparation for a pandemic plague. With two weeks to go until our vacation to Mexico, I had not thought that the proposed meeting was anything out of the ordinary. What a clever ruse. (First below, co-conspirators; second below, more co-conspirators; third below, the always difficult task of keeping Ed and Patty apart)
Fortunately, the swine flu has turned out to be just ... the ... flu. Friends Patty, Mary, Perron, Jim, and I leave next Saturday morning for a tropical get away to Puerto Vallarta. We will be packing along some Tamiflu and disinfectant wipes. We'll also pack along the surgical masks and styrofoam pigs that Joe Feigley gave me as a birthday present that night! (First below, Uncle Dimmy and Miss Morgan; second below, ready for the beach in Mexico!)
This weekend, Jim and I made a quick jaunt up to Rhinelander for Mother's Day. We had a productive trip. I cleaned the gutters on the garage, and Jim roto-tilled Mom's garden. We enjoyed a Mother's Day/birthday dinner at the Peking Chinese Restaurant courtesy of Dad, and we warmed ourselves beside a roaring campfire in the backyard on Saturday night. (First below, Oscar, the savage beast; second and third below, Mom and Dad feed the flames)
Later in the evening, Adam Lancour, a good long-time friend from Rhinelander, stopped by for a visit. We capped off the evening with a few pieces of some very rich and buttery birthday cake. I haven't had a more celebrated birthday since I got to go to the Pizza Haven about twenty-five years ago! (First below, Rose enjoys her new rose and dahlia; second below, foreground -- Adam and myself, background -- Mom and her dahlia)
What an eventful couple of weeks it has been. First, I turned 35. Yeah, I know. That's unbelievable based on my youthful appearance, isn't it? (Below, Bucky studies Jim in the "study")
To mark the joyous occasion, Jim and friend Tom Bilski arranged a surprise party for me at a Mexican restaurant in Fitchburg. A good number of friends and family showed up for the occasion. I was taken completely by surprise. Fun -- my first surprise party! (First below, a pose by the treasure trove; second below, the birthday cupcake hodag; third below, Bob and Lulu)
Apart from a few happy hour margaritas, I had no idea of what was waiting for me at Casa del Sol. I had thought that Jim and I were going to the restaurant to strategize with friends Mary and Perron about what to do about the swine flu in Mexico. At that time, the media was in a froth about closing borders and cancelling flights in preparation for a pandemic plague. With two weeks to go until our vacation to Mexico, I had not thought that the proposed meeting was anything out of the ordinary. What a clever ruse. (First below, co-conspirators; second below, more co-conspirators; third below, the always difficult task of keeping Ed and Patty apart)
Fortunately, the swine flu has turned out to be just ... the ... flu. Friends Patty, Mary, Perron, Jim, and I leave next Saturday morning for a tropical get away to Puerto Vallarta. We will be packing along some Tamiflu and disinfectant wipes. We'll also pack along the surgical masks and styrofoam pigs that Joe Feigley gave me as a birthday present that night! (First below, Uncle Dimmy and Miss Morgan; second below, ready for the beach in Mexico!)
This weekend, Jim and I made a quick jaunt up to Rhinelander for Mother's Day. We had a productive trip. I cleaned the gutters on the garage, and Jim roto-tilled Mom's garden. We enjoyed a Mother's Day/birthday dinner at the Peking Chinese Restaurant courtesy of Dad, and we warmed ourselves beside a roaring campfire in the backyard on Saturday night. (First below, Oscar, the savage beast; second and third below, Mom and Dad feed the flames)
Later in the evening, Adam Lancour, a good long-time friend from Rhinelander, stopped by for a visit. We capped off the evening with a few pieces of some very rich and buttery birthday cake. I haven't had a more celebrated birthday since I got to go to the Pizza Haven about twenty-five years ago! (First below, Rose enjoys her new rose and dahlia; second below, foreground -- Adam and myself, background -- Mom and her dahlia)



2 Comments:
what can we say, we love our jojo. i forgot that you had a birthday celebration at pizza haven. didn't we get like a dollar in quarters for the arcade and had a blast?
lulu
Good times! Happy Birthday, JoJo!
Post a Comment
<< Home