Jim + Martha Stewart = Jimmy Stewart
Dear Friends and Family,
Last night Jim Houzner spent three hours -- yes -- THREE HOURS making us a batch of the most delicious homemade French onion soup. It was easily most complex recipe that Chef Jim has ever tried to tackle, quite a step up from his Brett Favre Chili. I was very proud of him. After a lifetime as a cook of mac-n-cheese and microwave popcorn, I think Jim is starting to expand his culinary horizons.
Not much news. We're well into the Wisconsin winter blahs. I am busy with my dissertation, and I am also finishing up some grant applications for next year. I still hope to finish everything for the phd by May 2010. (Below, a snapshot from friend Tom Bilski's birthday gathering at the Dane)
Last night Jim Houzner spent three hours -- yes -- THREE HOURS making us a batch of the most delicious homemade French onion soup. It was easily most complex recipe that Chef Jim has ever tried to tackle, quite a step up from his Brett Favre Chili. I was very proud of him. After a lifetime as a cook of mac-n-cheese and microwave popcorn, I think Jim is starting to expand his culinary horizons.
Not much news. We're well into the Wisconsin winter blahs. I am busy with my dissertation, and I am also finishing up some grant applications for next year. I still hope to finish everything for the phd by May 2010. (Below, a snapshot from friend Tom Bilski's birthday gathering at the Dane)
I'm also a teaching assistant for History 439, "Islamic History: 500-1500." It's been a very enjoyable experience so far. The lecturing prof really teaches the material well, and I am sure I will be able to apply this experience in a survey course of my own some day. My classes are small, and my students are eager. However, I've really began noticing this year how much older than the students I am. Every year, they seem to stay the same age, and I get older. C'est la vie. (Below, another pic from Tom's birthday party)
Super Bowl at friends Tony and Mark's. This party had been long in the planning, because Mark won a 65-inch high-def, gargatuan TV last summer in a raffle. We had helped them move the behemoth into their new house last summer when it was still in the box. Too bad the Cardinals lost. Good game. (First below, Raisa stands guard, ready to hiss; second below, Jim counts the kitty for the Super Bowl pool; third below, Tony and Mark stew over their stew pots)
Jim and I are also starting to get March Madness fever as the Badgers have started getting hot. I also hold out slim hope that the Evansville Purple Aces will somehow win the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament. Badgers versus Aces in the tournie? (First below, Jimmy Potter; second below, the Super Bowl party crew)
We also had a nice meal at Morels a couple of weekends ago with some friends. The food and service were excellent as usual. Jim and I are looking forward to dining there again this weekend. (First below, the Morels crew; second below, a mean munchkin!)
Jim also reaffirmed his AARP eligibility by turning a youthful 51 on Febuary 9. He amassed quite a collection of birthday cards from well wishers this year, although it pailed in comparison to last year's haul. The celebrations were much more modest this year than last, but I think that suited us both just fine. (Below, Jim surveys his cache of cards)
Jim and I are also starting to get March Madness fever as the Badgers have started getting hot. I also hold out slim hope that the Evansville Purple Aces will somehow win the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament. Badgers versus Aces in the tournie? (First below, Jimmy Potter; second below, the Super Bowl party crew)
We also had a nice meal at Morels a couple of weekends ago with some friends. The food and service were excellent as usual. Jim and I are looking forward to dining there again this weekend. (First below, the Morels crew; second below, a mean munchkin!)
Jim also reaffirmed his AARP eligibility by turning a youthful 51 on Febuary 9. He amassed quite a collection of birthday cards from well wishers this year, although it pailed in comparison to last year's haul. The celebrations were much more modest this year than last, but I think that suited us both just fine. (Below, Jim surveys his cache of cards)jkb




3 Comments:
Happy Birthday, Jim-- and congrats on the French Onion Soup! That time I made it for you guys, a couple of years ago, was my first time making it and it turned out so good (enhanced with cheese from your brother's farm and croutons from Bill's sourdough loaf). The hardest part about making it was waiting so long for the onions to cook.
By the way, John... after we spoke last night I updated my blog. It's a very short entry.
See you soon! I'm excited.
ah, pardon mean, but i certainly am NOT a munchkin! mean, perhaps, but definitely not a munchkin. poison you on friday..uh, i mean, see you friday! teeheehee.
lulu
Post a Comment
<< Home