Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thanksgiving in the Northwoods.

Dear Friends and Family,

What a great Thanksgiving. A big crew assembled in Rhinelander. The Hurburts, including Jonathon, showed up. Laurie, Mark, and their pack of hounds also attended festivities. Bill, Bob, and of course Mom and Dad joined in. We missed Lisa Hulien and Bragg Family South -- but we'll hope to see them soon. Jim stayed in Madison to enjoy a few days off in peace and quiet.
The meal was excellent, the best I've had in years. Especially scrumptuous were Lisa's carrots and Laurie's cranberries. Leila got to try her first mashed potatoes. She was literally jumping for joy after her meal.
On Friday, after an afternoon shopping trip with Mom, I joined Mark, Laurie, Bill, and friend Adam for beer and shuffleboard at Bugsy's on Brown Street in downtown Rhinelander. Fun, but I'm not very good at shuffleboard. We enjoyed the little Rhinelander holiday parade for all of about a minute. Not too big.


Rhinelander's little holiday parade has become quite the event. A reindeer petting zoo. Christmas carols. Santa on stage. It was all worth at least another five whole minutes of memories. Very cute. Laurie, Mark, and I decided to break with left-overs and enjoyed a fish fry at the Fireside of Highway K that night. Yummy French onion soup broth.

Of course, the Thanksgiving holiday break always coincides with hunting season in Wisconsin. No luck for Jon Hurlburt and Mark Valaskey on the Bragg forty this year. Emma and I tried to help drive the deer to them, but apparently we only managed to drive them away. At least Jon and Mark were able to put up a new stand for next season. A very spry Dad showed Mark and I the swampy perimeters of the property.


The post holiday news has been, what else, snow. I've already helped Bob clear snow five times. The cold air outside means good indoor parties, though. Jim and I enjoy going to the Comedy Club on State during the cold season, and we enjoyed the company of several good friends there last Friday.

On Saturday last weekend, we went to friends Keith and Patrick's international-themed Christmas party. This year's theme was Russia. Jim went to the Soviet Union on a class trip in 1980, so he enjoyed donning his Olympic pins that he exchanged for American ones with the Russian kids. He has some great stories from his trip.


I hate to be terse, but I'm about ready for bed. So Bucky, Jim, and I say:
"Merry Christmas" and ...
"Happy Holidays"

Hoping all is joy and bright,
jkb

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like the picture of you and jim with the snow falling all around you; very seasonal.

sorry i didn't get a chance to talk to you guys last night. talk about crazy busy! that party ended up staying until 11:00 too!

lulu

Saturday, December 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Johan,
Wanted to say it was good to see you, Laurie and Mark,and Bill. I'm not sure if you heard about the incident with the horses right after we left. When they lit the tree, two teams of horses got spooked. They kicked a man in the chest, knocked over a light pole and ran loose downtown. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt, but I was glad that we weren't in their path. And you say nothing ever happens in Hodagville. Heh. Merry Christmas to all the extended Bragg clan.
Adam

Sunday, December 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home