Thursday, January 31, 2008

The January / Packer Blues.

Dear Friends, Family, and Interested Observers,

I've been putting off this blog entry, so as to distance myself from the painful memory of a Packer season squandered. As you may recall, Jim and I got (expensive) tickets to Lambeau for the Packer home playoff games this year. We won't be going to them next year, even if afforded the opportunity. More on that later. (First below, Dad and Kenny at the kitchen table; second below, sunset over the backyard)
First, I need to wrap up the holidays. A week after Jim and I had been up north to celebrate Christmas with Mom, Dad, Laurie, and Mark, I returned with Bob to spend some time with Mom and Dad and Bragg Family South (Don, Hope, Kenny, Beth, and Stephen). It was a good trip. We enjoyed a relatively squawk-free meal at Rhinelander's fine Chinese restaurant. We played some very competitive games of Topple. And, we lounged around and chatted a lot as Braggs do. (First below, Hope gives Beth a piggy-back ride; second below, Dad pieces together a document he prematurely shredded.)Stephen Charles Bragg is a very mild mannered baby. He seems to turn sour just in time for pictures, though. I'm not sure whether he will become a Steve or Stevie or simply remain Stephen. Whatever the case, he seems to have fit snug as a bug into Bragg Family South. (First below, Mom and her grandkids; second below, Stephen lies on the carpet, his favorite place to be.)A few days after I returned to Madison, Bragg Family South stopped by Laurie and Mark's on their return trip to Arkansas. Bob and his girlfriend Lisa also stopped by. Mark and Laurie supplied the usual feast. Mark made chili, and Laurie provided a sandwich assembly line. More Topple was played as Stephen lounged on the floor. (Below, breaking out the Topple)
I also got to know Lilly the dog a little bit better. She's a little shy yet, but she has no problem crawling into one's lap for a snuggle. Mingo is still the same goofy, pointy headed clod. Watch out for the whipping of those Llewelyn Setter tails! (First below, Jim models Mom's birthday present for him, a Badger's fleece jacket; second below, Jim craddles little Lilly in his arms.)
Now it is time to recall the triumph and defeat of 2008 playoff Green Bay Packers. The first game against Seattle was a magical experience. The forecast called for light morning snow ending well before the game. However, the snow machine did not turn on until Jim and I were checked in at the dodgy Motel Six in central Green Bay around noon. (First below, Jim and a Lambeau ice sculpture; second below, who does that Packer fan look like, Kenny?)
Once we got to Lambeau, the snow became steady. The temperatures were mild, though, so Jim and I forewent the snow pants thing. The atmosphere was duly festive, and the faithful tailgated in earnest. The odd Seahawks fans blazed in their day-glow unies. (First below, Cheese-hawk? Second below, a fluorescent Mohawk in front of Vince -- scandalous!)The start to the game was scary. Seattle built a fourteen-nothing lead off of two quick Packer fumbles. However, once the snow started in earnest, running back Ryan Grant and the Packers offense left the Seahawks in the "dust." The next day Jim and I were so excited when the Giants upset the hated rival Cowboys ... we were going to Lambeau the next week, too! (First below, white out; second below, whiter out)

However, the team-of-destiny Giants ruined our hopes the following weekend. The auspices were not with us. Almost nobody was tailgaiting before the game, as Green Bay and the rest of Wisconsin was experiencing -25 degree wind chills. Jim and I felt like cattle as we were confined to pregame festivities in overcrowded Green Bay bars. No matter how I bundled, my feet could not stay warm outside, as my boots are not lined. Jim was just toasty in his La Crosse Ice Men's. (First below, Jim gets on his game face as he steps into the truck for the return journey to Green Bay; second below, Jim goes through a dry-run of dressing warm for the game.)

And, of course, the game was a disappointment. Although it was exciting throughout, the Packers did not play up to their potential, and the overtime loss was devastating. The faithful left the stands either in stone-cold silence or muttering curses under their breath. (First below, Jim celebrates a Packer touchdown play; second below, fur caps on sale before the game.)

Worse yet, Jim and I had no hope of getting a taxi after the game, so we walked two-and-a half miles back to the hotel along a forelorn railroad track. Jim fell on the black ice and bruised himself. When we reached the hotel, we found out that the heater didn't work in the room. What a fiasco. The thrills of victory and pain of defeat are easier to manage from your living room remote. I think we would pass on the same tickets next year.

We have had a lot more snow and cold since NFC championship weekend, too. So, Jim and I are very excited to be leaving later this week for a ten-day trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico! We will celebrate Jim's ... birthday in 80-degree temperatures in the company of old friends. Don't get too jealous! Now, where's my passport ...

Until later, jkbinmadison

P.S. Bucky and Jim say "Bye, bye!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope things are good over there, and spring shows up for you all very soon. bill

Monday, February 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh John I just got caught up here. I followed the Packers and wondered how you and Jim were handling it all. No idea you were actually at the big game!

Miss you, dear friend. How is the book coming?

Love, Jeannie

PS: Absolutely LOVED the hoedag (??) photo! Can I make that my screensaver??

Thursday, February 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home