Sweet September.
Dear Friends, Family, and Interested Observers,
On Labor Day, Jim and I headed up to his brother Joe and sister-in-law Kathy's country home on Cascade Mountain near Portage. Joe and Kathy are avid gardeners, and they gave us enough vegetables to last three weeks. To avoid the holiday traffic on our return, Jim and I left behind the interstate to board the Merrimac car ferry. Neither of us had done that before. What a beautiful day.
The following weekend, Jim lucked into four tickets for the Packers' opener at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. We headed up Highway 151 with our friends Tim Osbourne and Ed. We had dressed for sunny and dry weather, but a front was draped across the middle of the state that Sunday morning, so we had a cooler than expected tailgate. Despite the intermittent rain and the vexing chants "E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles, Eagles, Eagles!" from the Philly contingent, the Packer faithful were fun and festive. We were rewarded with an unexpected and dramatic 16-13 win. (First below, Jim, Tim Osbourne, and I; second below, Ed Johnson; third below; the preamble to a successful Packer field goal)

The next weekend I left Jim behind in Madison to join my family on our annual fall camping trip. As I still do not have my car with me in Madison, I hitched a ride up north with my brother Bob. Our first stop was to be Kewaunee, where Bob's girlfriend Lisa lives. (Bob and Lisa at the boat landing on Clark Lake)
Sorry that I haven't updated my blog lately. September just rushed by, as I'm now busy with my dissertation work. I'm currently struggling with a passage in the court records about the funding of a repair of Ismail Ağa Mosque in c. 1864. On top of it all, Jim and I have been nursing some nasty colds this week. (First below, Ottoman scrawlings; second below, Bucky makes himself at home on the new quilt Mom made us)
Of course, it's not all been work. This time of the year, I'm also preoccupied with football season. I'm going to more Badger games this year (four, maybe five, total!) than ever before. The first game this season was a victory against the Washington State Cougars. (First below, Butch the Cougar; second below, TOUCHDOWN, BADGERS!)
The Saturday before Labor Day was sunny and warm, like most of the days this fall. We met a couple of friends to tailgate at Buck's on Regent Street before the game. Buck's has a nice outdoor beer garden, and in relation to the bars closer to the stadium, it has room to roam. (First below, our friend Ed's niece Jennifer and her boyfriend Brian; second below, Jim's joy at Badger success)
Of course, it's not all been work. This time of the year, I'm also preoccupied with football season. I'm going to more Badger games this year (four, maybe five, total!) than ever before. The first game this season was a victory against the Washington State Cougars. (First below, Butch the Cougar; second below, TOUCHDOWN, BADGERS!)
The Saturday before Labor Day was sunny and warm, like most of the days this fall. We met a couple of friends to tailgate at Buck's on Regent Street before the game. Buck's has a nice outdoor beer garden, and in relation to the bars closer to the stadium, it has room to roam. (First below, our friend Ed's niece Jennifer and her boyfriend Brian; second below, Jim's joy at Badger success)
On Labor Day, Jim and I headed up to his brother Joe and sister-in-law Kathy's country home on Cascade Mountain near Portage. Joe and Kathy are avid gardeners, and they gave us enough vegetables to last three weeks. To avoid the holiday traffic on our return, Jim and I left behind the interstate to board the Merrimac car ferry. Neither of us had done that before. What a beautiful day.
The following weekend, Jim lucked into four tickets for the Packers' opener at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. We headed up Highway 151 with our friends Tim Osbourne and Ed. We had dressed for sunny and dry weather, but a front was draped across the middle of the state that Sunday morning, so we had a cooler than expected tailgate. Despite the intermittent rain and the vexing chants "E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles, Eagles, Eagles!" from the Philly contingent, the Packer faithful were fun and festive. We were rewarded with an unexpected and dramatic 16-13 win. (First below, Jim, Tim Osbourne, and I; second below, Ed Johnson; third below; the preamble to a successful Packer field goal)

The next weekend I left Jim behind in Madison to join my family on our annual fall camping trip. As I still do not have my car with me in Madison, I hitched a ride up north with my brother Bob. Our first stop was to be Kewaunee, where Bob's girlfriend Lisa lives. (Bob and Lisa at the boat landing on Clark Lake)
On the way to Kewaunee, we decided to change drivers. We stopped at a run-down wayside near Fon du Lac. Bob is the family geneaologist, and he had mentioned a couple days before that our Cheesehead Bragg ancestors had lived in the Fon du Lac area. Lo and behold, we discover a placard at the wayside honoring a certain Civil War hero named Edward Bragg. He is probably a relative of ours.
Before we reached Kewaunee, we stopped for a quick jaunt around the harbor of Two Rivers, or in local parlance, "T-rivers." Bob mentioned that Two Rivers is the local hub of commercial fishing on Lake Michigan. We saw quite a few modest fish markets along the riverfront. Two Rivers had a distinct Rust-Belt, northern cottage charm, and the dramatic winter skies that night added to the ambience.
Bill, Bob, his girlfriend Lisa, Emma, and I also braved 40-degree air temperatures to take a dip in the lake. I lasted about twenty minutes. The wind was nasty, and the forest floor was frosty as we darted back to the fire at the campsite. (First below, Bob gears up for an underwater adventure; second below; a dip into the chilly depths)

We were packed up by 11:30 that morning, so as soon as we crossed the state border at Land O'Lakes, we headed to a local pub for lunch and the first half of the Packer game. There were some intense local Packer fans there! We made it to Rhinelander for the second half and ended up getting a longer visit with our parents.
The following weekend Jim and I watched the Badgers squeak out a victory over Iowa. The weekend after that, the Badgers took on Michigan State. Mark and Laurie hooked up my brother-in-law Jon Hurlburt and my step-nephew Jonathon with some beer vendor tickets. I had not planned to go to this game, but since I was going to tailgate with the crew anyways, I asked Jim to rastle me up a ticket. I ended up sitting with our good friend Brian Brinley. (First below, silliness in the back seat with Jim and Jonathon Hurlburt)
So, Saturday morning Jon and Jonathon parked by the condo and we headed to our usual spot, Buck's. We were surprised to see Senator Russ Feingold there. I asked for a photo, and he graciously obliged. (Below, I'm taller than you, Russ Feingold! Ha! Ha!)
Of course, when the Hurlburts let loose, things can happen. Jon got a little rowdy, and he ended up getting cuffed for disorderly conduct. (First below: Just kidding. As you can tell from our smiles in the background, it was a very staged picture. Second below, friends Peron and Tory, who, incidentally, are brothers)
I think Jon and Jonathon had a very good time. Neither of them had been to a Badger game before, and it is a fun atmosphere. And the Badgers pulled out another close one! (First below, Jonathon, John, and Jon; second below; Jon, Jim, Jim, Jon, John!)

Well, it's time for me and Jim to head out to a Badger / surprise birthday party in Mount Vernon. The Badgers are away this week to Illinois.
Before we reached Kewaunee, we stopped for a quick jaunt around the harbor of Two Rivers, or in local parlance, "T-rivers." Bob mentioned that Two Rivers is the local hub of commercial fishing on Lake Michigan. We saw quite a few modest fish markets along the riverfront. Two Rivers had a distinct Rust-Belt, northern cottage charm, and the dramatic winter skies that night added to the ambience.
Bob's girlfriend Lisa works for the Kewaunee County paper and keeps a cozy second-floor apartment with a view of Lake Michigan. Her cats are lovey and absolutely rotund. Maybe if we just plump Bucky up a little ... (First below, Sassy; second below, Elton)



After an overnight stay in Kewaunee, we headed up to Hodagland bright and early. The weather was sunny but brisk. Snow had fallen in the Northwoods the night before. Mom and Dad were hospitable, but the whole crew was a whirlwind of activity as we gathered our gear. (My brother-in-law Jon, my elder sister Lisa, and Dad)

The destination was the Sylvania Wilderness Area in the Ottawa National Forest. Sylvania is just across the state border in Watersmeet, Michigan. This large park preserves what the overdeveloped Wisconsin Northwoods used to be, pristine glacial lakes interspersed among old growth stands of white pine, hemlock, and yellow birch. The park is rich in natural wonders large and small, and according to my nephew Mikey, magical sticks. (First below, the first brush of fall color in the tree tops; second below, Mikey directs Jon and Bill's paddling effort; third below, fungi)

We way overdid the gear, and for a brief moment, we thought our canoes might tip over under the weight of our load as we paddled to a wilderness camp site on the southwest end of Clark Lake. (First below, the ever-vigilent Cocoa; second below; second below, packing up the canoes; third below, Emma 'Beaner')





We saw lots of wildlife this time. My niece Emma pointed out a bald eagle as we put our canoes in at the boat landing, and I came across a flock of wild turkeys as I headed over the ridge to use the modest "wilderness" toilet. We also heard a porcupine rustling in the hardwood canopy. Loons serenaded us all night. (First below, the wilderness 'privy;' second below, Jon pauses to take it all in)

Bill, Bob, his girlfriend Lisa, Emma, and I also braved 40-degree air temperatures to take a dip in the lake. I lasted about twenty minutes. The wind was nasty, and the forest floor was frosty as we darted back to the fire at the campsite. (First below, Bob gears up for an underwater adventure; second below; a dip into the chilly depths)
That night we entertained ourselves by making up (silly) stories in round and playing twenty questions. Before bed we tied up our food on a branch about twelve feet off the ground -- so that we wouldn't get any bears marauding. The following morning we finished up with a nature walk in the forest before canoeing back to our vans. (First below, I hope that tree trunk holds; second below, Bill; third below, Mikey, Emma, and a cat-faced burl)


We were packed up by 11:30 that morning, so as soon as we crossed the state border at Land O'Lakes, we headed to a local pub for lunch and the first half of the Packer game. There were some intense local Packer fans there! We made it to Rhinelander for the second half and ended up getting a longer visit with our parents.
The following weekend Jim and I watched the Badgers squeak out a victory over Iowa. The weekend after that, the Badgers took on Michigan State. Mark and Laurie hooked up my brother-in-law Jon Hurlburt and my step-nephew Jonathon with some beer vendor tickets. I had not planned to go to this game, but since I was going to tailgate with the crew anyways, I asked Jim to rastle me up a ticket. I ended up sitting with our good friend Brian Brinley. (First below, silliness in the back seat with Jim and Jonathon Hurlburt)
So, Saturday morning Jon and Jonathon parked by the condo and we headed to our usual spot, Buck's. We were surprised to see Senator Russ Feingold there. I asked for a photo, and he graciously obliged. (Below, I'm taller than you, Russ Feingold! Ha! Ha!)
Of course, when the Hurlburts let loose, things can happen. Jon got a little rowdy, and he ended up getting cuffed for disorderly conduct. (First below: Just kidding. As you can tell from our smiles in the background, it was a very staged picture. Second below, friends Peron and Tory, who, incidentally, are brothers)
I think Jon and Jonathon had a very good time. Neither of them had been to a Badger game before, and it is a fun atmosphere. And the Badgers pulled out another close one! (First below, Jonathon, John, and Jon; second below; Jon, Jim, Jim, Jon, John!)
Well, it's time for me and Jim to head out to a Badger / surprise birthday party in Mount Vernon. The Badgers are away this week to Illinois.So, from Jim, Bucky, and I,
GO BADGERS!


4 Comments:
i'm so happy you updated your blog!
i love all the pictures and chuckled at the "arrest" of jon h. it may be awhile before i will have an update on my own blog, as our computer's hard-drive crashed & is being fixed.
lulu
John,
Great blog update! That picture of Jon getting "arrested" really got my attention.
Lisa
Hey John, I googled your name and found this site:
http://www.johnbragg.me.uk/
This particular John Bragg is looking for other John Braggs. Funny, eh?
Great blog, by the way. I enjoyed reading about your adventures in Turkey.
Nice pictures. A lot of red clothing! Cool that you have a pic with Feingold too. Look for Perpignan pics now posted on my blog.
Post a Comment
<< Home