A Retraction.
Dear Friends, Family, and Interested Observers,
I think I will try my best to leave the topic of the Pope alone from now on ... although as he visits Turkey in November I make no promises. In last week's blog, I in no way intended to belittle the suffering of parents who have lost unbaptized children by endorsing the Pope's proposed abolition of "limbo." I chose my words poorly, and I can see how my intentions were misunderstood. I apologise.
This is not the first time I have had to eat crow and ammend my comments, either. A different reader had criticised me for referring to two fellow students in the course as "native Turks" instead of the more appropriate "native Turkish speakers." I also caught some flack for my partying habits in Turkey -- although I would note that we were a very hardworking group (most the time)! Other veteran blog writers had warned me to take care in my writing. I will try my best in the future ...
Sincerely,
jkbinturkey
I think I will try my best to leave the topic of the Pope alone from now on ... although as he visits Turkey in November I make no promises. In last week's blog, I in no way intended to belittle the suffering of parents who have lost unbaptized children by endorsing the Pope's proposed abolition of "limbo." I chose my words poorly, and I can see how my intentions were misunderstood. I apologise.
This is not the first time I have had to eat crow and ammend my comments, either. A different reader had criticised me for referring to two fellow students in the course as "native Turks" instead of the more appropriate "native Turkish speakers." I also caught some flack for my partying habits in Turkey -- although I would note that we were a very hardworking group (most the time)! Other veteran blog writers had warned me to take care in my writing. I will try my best in the future ...
Sincerely,
jkbinturkey


3 Comments:
John--
'Nuff said...
On a different topic--when are you coming back next? Seems to me it was around Turkey Day...we won't be up north next until probably the day after Christmas--will you still be in town at that point?
Don,
I am scheduled to come back on Wed. Nov. 22 and will stay thru New Year's, so I'll be able to see you all after Christmas. We will be in Rhinelander (assuming that's where the family will gather) on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day ... and it shouldn't be a problem to stretch our stay to see you guys.
John
John,
Not to beat a dead horse, but enough with the unnecessary apologizing. Not once so far have I seen a single sentence in the blogs that was in any way, shape, or form disrespectful. You have the right to an opinion and I am quite happy that you are sharing it with us in this forum. I know just a touch more about Turkey, the EU, even the pope after reading what you have written. For that, I am thankful.
It seems this topic may have now run its course, but I just want to say that as I get older, I am apologizing less and less (still have a lot of work to do on that, however). I think that is a good thing. That said, I am still happy to do so when I (repeat I) deem it necessary.
Hope you are doing well and the situation with the Turkish authorities works itself out.
Take care and see you soon,
Mark
P.S. You knew that there had to be a P.S., right? I am certain that your brother would severely dislike my views re the pope and the Catholic Church writ large. Nonetheless, when I hear our local bishop talking about "purify[ing] the culture" to protect against gay marriage, I am shocked and saddened - see Oct. 6, 2006 article in the Isthmus entitled "Rallying the Faithful." Not so much because he is against gay marriage (that seemed like a given from the church of my youth), but because he doesn't understand the weight of a word like purify. Reminds me of Hitler, to tell you the truth. I always say, I didn't leave the Catholic Church, it left me. Once again they have shown me why.
I guess this could restart this blog "fire" but that was not my intent in posting tonight. Like you (and I would assume your brother Don), I think this blog is important as it allow all of us the opportunity to learn about your experience and in some cases, challenge others and/or support our views. No harm in that.
"Turkey Day" is coming soon - pun somewhat intended - and Tony & I are looking forward to getting together with you and Jim. We'll talk then.
If this post came through twice, or even thrice, it is only because I am having trouble posting.
Post a Comment
<< Home