A Long Period of Adjustment and Readjustment
I’ve finally made time to update my website. I will spend the next six months doing research in Ankara, the Turkish capital, at the National Library (Milli Kütüphane, below) and other places. I will continue to study Ottoman under the tutelage of Professor Ali Fuat Bilkan of TOBB University. Actually, we will probably spend most of our time together sampling excerpts from the court records. The Microfilm Department in the National Library, where the Tokat court records are housed, is closed until Thursday for major repairs. In the meantime, so I have been writing up a research bibliography for possible secondary sources to be found there.

I have made the transition from the olive groves and cool waters of the Aegean to the arid steppe and thirsty mountains of the Ankara. The Cunda course sadly drew to a close on Friday, August 11. We shared one last meal together that night at the seaside, packed our bags the following morning, and parted ways. I’ll miss my new friends from Cunda, but I’m sure well cross paths in the future (Tahir, left, and his pet octopus, "Otty"; Yasmine and Michael, below right)
On Saturday morning I boarded a bus bound for Ankara. My mission for the following week was simple: find a furnished apartment to rent near the National Library. The following Saturday I planned to fly out for a two-week visit to the States, so I had contacted a realtor over the internet to speed up the process.
Upon my arrival to Ankara Saturday evening, I took a taxi to my hotel in Ulus, a working class neighborhood in the central city. The Otel Mithat was sweltering and seedy. And, although it was cheap and its staff was courteous, by Monday I was more than ready to move on.
It all happened so fast. Full furnished apartments
are a rarity in Turkey, because one is expected to bring all their belongings into the move. An unfurnished apartment won’t even have light fixtures or curtains. Moreover, Ankara is a university town as well as the capital, so out of town students compete for the few furnished apartments. So I signed on the dotted line that very afternoon (my apartment is the corner one on the second floor, picture to the left).
Having accomplished my primary task, I looked up the airline ticket that I had purchased later in the week. I had applied for an e-ticket, as is the norm in air travel these days. However, I had not managed to open the email attachment containing my reservation and receipt while in Cunda. When I finally did open it up in Ankara, to my dismay, I found out that travelers from Ankara to international destinations could only travel with paper tickets in hand. As I had no paper ticket in hand, I immediately contacted my online ticket broker agency, Turkish Portal. They claimed that I had designated my American address as the destination for the ticket, although Jim told me that no ticket had arrived. On top of this, Turkish Portal’s sister agency in Turkey refused to send me a new ticket, and told me that the only way I could get a new ticket would be if my carrier, British Airlines, reissued me one. They then wrongly directed me to the Ankara airport. A forty dollar taxi ride later, I found out the B.A. had no ticket agency or staff to help me there. The airport staff did pass along a contact number in Istanbul. A flurry of faxes, surcharges, and desperate phone conversations later, I got B.A. to reissue me a ticket. However, B.A. put the wrong building number on the address of the parcel with the ticket, so I did not get the paper ticket until 7:00 pm of Friday. I flew out Saturday morning at 8:30 am! It was four days of perdition. Curse Turkish Portal, or as I now call it, T.P.
My two weeks in the States were blissful. Jim crafted a fun-filled itinerary. A special treat was the annual family camping trip in the Sylvania Wilderness in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Bucky is very fat now. He is going on a strict regimen of diet cat food and toy mouse retrieval.
I’ve been back for a week now, and I’m getting settled in. My apartment is two blocks away
from the National Library, so I can walk there and back very easily. I am also only two blocks from Yedinci Cadde (Seventh Avenue), which is as my friend Zekeriya states, “a fun street.” That is, every Turkish city (or major district of a larger city) has a street where the people come to hang out, strut, and mingle. In Samsun, it was Çiftlik Street. In Istanbul, it was İstiklal Caddesi. In this part of town, it’s Yedinci Cadde. Zekeriya also mentioned that Bahçelievler, the district (semt) that I’m living in, was built some time after the foundation of the Republic as home to white-collar workers. Other parts of Ankara, such as Çankaya, might have more money, but Bahçelievler has “more education.” I don’t know how true that is, but from outward appearances Bahçelievler is a middle class Turkish bastion (as is evident by the presence of American grease dispensers such as Burger King, right. Okay, I've eaten there one. Maybe twice.) One thing is sure; I will never want for a haircut here. There must be twenty barbers within a three-block radius of my apartment. How do they all stay open?
Complaints, I have a few. First, I have found a wonderful mantı place close to home, but man cannot live on mantı alone. You know your getting east in Turkey when you go to the restaurants and can only find meat items on the menu. I’m not a big salad eater, so I’m going to have to cook my main vegetable courses at home. Second, my apartment has had some glitches. The hot water heater hasn’t been fixed yet, and I just managed to unclog a major back up in my bathtub drain pipe. However, all and all things are going well.
I can’t forget to mention that I’ve found a roommate, two. Müge, you’ll be happy to know that I reeled him in using that ad for an apartment I put up on the web! His name is Sinan (left). He’s very nice, although I cannot understand his low voice over my cell phone, either in English or Turkish. He’s from Istanbul, and I think he's a little perturbed that he will be in Ankara the next year-and-a-half doing some project at Middle East Technical University on the far west side.
By the way, for the record, my new address is:
Bahçelievler
7. Cadde, 24. Sokak 5/3
ÇANKAYA, ANKARA
I’m not sure about the zip code, but if you send something it should get here. And, special thanks to all of you who have written to me or posted comments on my blog.
Well, until next week … 
jkbinturkey
P.S. Thanks for the pic, Radha.


3 Comments:
Merhaba! Glad to hear that things are well and that you got back safely. This is officially my last semester as undergraduate and it's going to whiz by as I have 20 credits and am working two jobs. Also just moved into a new studio that I like very much. Stay in touch and talk soon. Bisous, Bill
PS - I have skype; you use that right? send me an email with your screenname and we can chat.
John
Jim and I are reading your blog together. Nothing is simple is it? So glad you arrived back in Turkey safe and sound. It's been raining for days.... we'll need an ark soon. Either that, or it's my tears from the Pack losing to the BEARS!!!! That one hurt big time. It was 26 - 0. Like I always say.. It's any given Sunday and there are lots of games yet.
Jim is doing ok., but he is definitely lonesome. Good things we have the Badgers now, too, so I'll keep him company and he'll also have something to cheer about.
Take care. Miss you. Hope to see your duriing the holidays when you come back to sanity.
Love - Char and Tom (well, Jim, too, since he is standing right behind me).
have you heard of the Borat/Kazakhstan controversy? http://www.borat.tv/ thought it might be of interest to you; wanna hear your thoughts. bill
Post a Comment
<< Home